Bijan Khalili was born in an Iranian-Jewish-Kurdish family in 1951. The family moved to Tehran in 1949. Bijan went through his elementary and secondary school at different areas, including Kermanshah, Broujerd, and Tehran. He graduated from Alborz High School, the most-famous and distinguished school in Iran. He then moved to Shiraz and received his B.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering from Pahlavi University in 1974. He later entered the National University of Iran to pursue his studies in political science in fall of 1978, just before the Iranian revolution. However, prior to completion of his studies, he had to leave Iran due to internal political unrest and the prosecution of minorities by the new regime.
Bijan Khalili immigrated to United States in late 1980. He founded Ketab Corporation in Los Angeles, California in January, 1981. He is now living in Los Angeles
with his wife Pirayeh Khalili.
The following is a summary of his twenty-five years of activities and services to the Iranian community and to non-Iranians who are interested in Persian culture, issues, and literature:
- Founder of Ketab Corp. in January, 1981 and presently the president of Ketab Corp.
- Founder and first publisher in 1981 of the Iranian Yellow Pages in Persian and English. Please visit http://www.ketab.com/yellow.aspx
- Upon award of the Yellow Pages Publishers Association (YPPA) certificate in 1987, the Iranian Yellow Pages has been a full member of YPPA since 1987. Only 200 publishers have been certified throughout the years by this association
- Founder, creator and publisher of the Iranian Pocket Yellow Pages since 1987. Please visit http://www.ketab.com/pocket_yellow.aspx
- Founder and creator of the Iranian Information Center (known as “Iranian 08,” which is equivalent to American 411 operator-based system) since 1988. Please check WWW.08.net
- Founder and Creator of www.ketab.com since 1995
- Founder of Ketab Persian bookstore, the first and largest Persian bookstore in United States since 1981
- Publisher of more than 100 titles of Persian and English books about Iran since 1981. Please visit http://shopping.ketab.com/persianbook.asp
- Founder and creator of < www.IranianWhitePages.com > since 2000. Please visit http://www.iranianwhitepages.com
- Publisher of Iranshahr Weekly newspaper since 1996 and founder of www.iranshahrweekly.com
- Founder and Creator of Iranshahr news agency; < www.eIranshahr.com > is under construction
- Founder, creator and publisher of Persian Pocket Calendar, along with Gregorian, Hebrew, and Arabic calendars. Please visit http://www.ketab.com/pocket_calendar.aspx
- Founder and Creator and Provider of < www.08.net >, the on-line Iranian Information Center
- Founder, creator and provider of <www.PersianMusicCenter.com>, the on-line Persian music information source
- Founder, creator and provider of <www.PersianFilmCenter.com>, the on-line Persian film information source
- Provided books and information on Iran and Persian culture to various public agencies, such as public libraries, university research libraries, Library of Congress, etc., since 1981
- Gave numerous lectures about Iranian culture and history and made provisions for other distinguished cultural and literary lecturers.
- Made numerous arrangements for book displays regarding various Iranian events.
- Activist to raise emergency funds from Iranian American communities to aid beleaguered survivors of the earthquake in Bam, Iran in December, 2003
- Activist to monitor and publicize the status of human rights and political freedoms inside Iran under the current regime